Leviathan: Burgundy Starfish

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The burgundy starfish is a nocturnal resident of my reef tank and have never managed to photograph this guy until this morning. Starfish are not lightning fast, but I had to jack up the shutter speed to freeze the tube feet. The tube feet are in constant motion and were difficult to freeze at 1/200 second sync speed.

Technical Details

Z9 105mm 2.8 Micro + 3 SB-R200 macro flashes (1/800 sec at f9.0, ISO 100) Crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Saturation reduction using calibration in Lightroom…Jim

Very cool, Jim. The position in the frame makes for a very strong graphical composition and the underside of a starfish isn’t a subject we see very often (I don’t recall ever seeing one).

1 Like

Jim, thanks for sharing this. I have never seen a starfish up close, especially from the underside. Really neat. the black BG makes him stand out nicely. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you @Dennis_Plank and @Shirley_Freeman for your comments and critiques. Life in the reef tank provides some interesting opportunities for macro work. …Jim

1 Like

Jim: One must view the full size image to appreciate the intricacy of the underside of this beauty. In my dingle minded desire to shoot the landscape while I was in Oregon I forgot to explore tide pools and exposed rocks for starfish and other shoreline critters. Thanks for reminding me of these marvels. Top notch image of a fine subject. >=))>