Ruby Beach Soft Surf

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

A view of Ruby Beach just after sunset.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

As our workshop was heading back to our cars after this sunset shoot, I looked back at the beach area and saw this view. I already had my camera set for a long exposure with a ND filter in place over the lens and the camera still attached to the tripod. This is one of my favorite images from that shoot. I really like the silhouetted trees against the soft surf ocean and fogged shrouded, featureless backround.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Lens: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM @ 47.0 mm, f/22
for 8.0 secs. ISO: 100. ND filter used strength unknown. Edited in Camera Raw and Photoshop.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments appreciated.

I love the spacing and the framing on the left side, allowing the distant rocks to shine. I love the moodiness this creates with the greys in the distance and the solid black trees in the foreground

That you chose to present this in black and white. Wonderfully captures the mood of a grey, foggy day on the Northwest coast.

Thank you, Josh. Creating the moodiness was one of the effects I was trying to convey. Robert Engle

Thank you, Jim. The grey and fog really left no alternatives to a monochrome image for me. My visualization for that entire shoot was monochrome. Robert Engle

I am enjoying the mood you captured with this B&W pano Robert. This also has a nice graphic quality to it with the darl vertical tree trunks framed in the horizontal pano format. Very nicely done!

Thank you, Ed.