First Tide at Second Beach

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

How to improve?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Took shots for over an hour and liked this the best.

Technical Details

24mm

OK I’ll jump in – image looks too grey, but this may be a stylistic choice.

Agree. Traveling right now so no chance to redo until 3-4 weeks.

Louis, I like the composition, with the moving water leading back to the main seastack. I do agree that more contrast is likely to be good. Also, there’s strong brightness in the sky through the trees on top of the seastack.

A very lovely scene! A bit more contrast brings it to life!

Thanks. Did you add contrast?

Yes, but not using a contrast slider. I don’t know what software you use, but I opened it in Photoshop and went to the Camera Raw filter, to approximate what you probably used for a raw converter (assuming it was shot as a raw file). I looked at the histogram, which I already knew was bunched up in the middle with very little dark or light tones present. I pulled the Blacks slider left until the histogram covered more dark tones, and pulled the Whites slider to the right to fill the right area of the histogram. But I decided how much by looking at the image – you can’t adjust a histogram by the numbers. It’s just a guide to help overcome what the eyes may have adjusted to incorrectly.

Wow, thanks. This was shot many years ago and I have no recollection of what I did. Must go back to the RAW and start over since many new versions have come out since this was worked on in C1.