Ruby throated Hummingbird and Salvia guarantiaca.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a first year male ruby throated hummingbird checking out a black and blue Salvia. I used a different BG for this shot, but I actually prefer my old BG used in the first image. Always good to experiment when photographing hummingbirds with multiple flashes. I did tone down the highlights quite a bit to tame the whites that still have details present.

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 600mm f4 (1/200 sec at f18, ISO 800) 4 flashes set at 1/32 power. Levels, crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise AI, Highlight reduction, and pulled back shadows slightly. I am tempted to add more space at the bottom…Jim

Hi Jim
The green background works better with this Salvia and as always your flash system is amazing.
Peter

1 Like

Another fine hummingbird image, Jim. I tend to prefer this background, particularly for a female or immature bird that doesn’t have that intense red gorget. The brilliant green seemed just a bit too gaudy for my taste. I like the composition of this one with the bird well separated from the plant but obviously engaged with it.

1 Like

Beautifully captured Jim. I like the approach shot and the composition looks good to me. I also like the background even though I noticed the darker areas on the left dividing the image. I’m wondering what the BG (desaturated version) in your previous post would look like. Think I might like that best. Either way, this is an excellent image with fine details and exposure. Well done.

1 Like

Lovely with great detail and well-arranged lighting. Maybe a stop more exposure on the BG light?

I wonder about either leaving more room for the bottom leaf or cropping it out. It would pull the eye less with some lowering of saturation.

2 Likes