Ruddy Duck

Nikon D7200, Tamron 150-600MM @ 600mm, 1/1600 sec, f/6.3, iso 320.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Larry:

Nice little Ruddy. The reflection is nice and adds to the image. Water is a bit bright but probably not much you could do. Looks like the light wasn’t working with you based on the shadowed side of the head.

Of more concern to me is the composition. I’d encourage you to look carefully at composing, either in camera, or later in post. This image is very centered which creates a very static image. Here’s a quick adjustment to several pieces of the image, the most obvious being the placement of the duck in the frame. See what you think.

I get what you’re saying Keith. In doing that, you lose some of the trailing wake. I liked that effect and so I tried to get as much of it into the photo as I could.

BTW, that’s not a shadow that is a natural color variation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture+of+female+ruddy+duck&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=yKi8ee_wLOq2yM%253A%252C22iENQ6ty0CbsM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQKFPE6R8WDTPAiDOSxNe9gUJM7Qw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-0O2FhLTfAhXwT98KHZyDB0UQ9QEwAnoECAAQCA#imgrc=oI5qr4cTYXMtQM:

Hi Larry:

If you look, the change didn’t remove any of the trailing wake. I added canvas to the right and bottom.

Yes, I know what a ruddy duck looks like. Still needs light on the head to make the image work well.

Nice repost by Keith. Decentering helps, but the biggest improvement was lightening the head allowing some detail in the darks.