Rufous Hummingbird

I was shooting at a feeder but the hummingbird feeder is nearby. This little Rufous kept hanging around and although he was in pretty heavy shade, I couldn’t resist trying. Eye AF worked very well, but he never turned more toward me.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 600mm f/4 + 2X (1200mm), f/8 (wide open), 1/400 sec, ISO 800, sturdy tripod and head. Highlights and Shadows sliders in LR, NR is PS, a piece of the feeder cloned out in the LR.

2 Likes

Oh what a beauty! Another bird I’ve never seen. Such perfect sharpness on the face. Even though he’s turned away, he still has appeal.

Diane

Very nice photo of a hard to capture bird.

Amazing capture, Diane. We used to get Rufous’ when we lived in Colorado, they are so aggressive and fast! Love how the soft backdrop highlights the hummer so well. Nicely done.

1 Like

Excellent image, Diane. The blurring of the wings is perfect and the overall composition couldn’t be improved. Bravo.

Hi Diane
The slow shutter speed work in this photograph, as the head and eye are steady and sharp. The eye and Hummingbird’s wing and lower body action make for a nice looking photograph.
Peter