Rufous naped Wren

A Rufous Naped Wren taken from a moving boat on the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Iso-400, 500 mm, F8, 1000th, 70% full frame, handheld, bright daylight with dappled shade, D 500

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hello, David, an interesting species, in a very alert or curious pose by the looks. The light was not the easiest I imagine, but you handled it very well. Nice colours in this image, complementing the bird. The light patches on the perch seem a little blueish, is that what they were? Nice one ! Cheers, Hans

A really wonderful pose, David, and you handled the light on the bird very well. The high contrast combined with being out of focus makes the perch on the left rather bothersome to my eye. I’m not sure you could remove it without making the junction look weird, but maybe you can think of some way to mellow it out a bit.

Yes, the perch is problematic. Color is real due to rainy environment. Perhaps I can darken it or use the Nik Filters darken/brighten filter .

Bird looks great. IQ is top-notch. Good that you got him almost fully lit. BG looks good. As far as the tree, I’d start this one over from RAW and work on the bird by itself. I think the contrast/noise issues are coming in from making global adjustments.

Man, that bird is so mesmerizing I am giving scant attention to the perch/trunk. I think this is an absolutely astounding shot. Yes!