Sabbaday Falls In The Rain

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A rainy drizzly day in the White Mountains of New Hampshire; perfect conditions for capturing some images of the beautiful Sabbaday Falls. The falls are relatively easy to access as they are only about a half mile off the Kancamangus Highway.

It is next to impossible to get anything new from this location, but we always stop anyway when we visit the White Mountains. I took some verticals, but I liked the horizontal version best as it showcased some of the surroundings as well as the falls. I particularly liked the lush greens in the scene.

Specific Feedback

I am overall pleased with image, but if you notice anything or have a suggestion feel free to let me know as I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 24mm, f 11 @ 1/5 sec, ISO 200, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release and tripod, my brother Mike as the personal assistant with the umbrella. :grin:

1 Like

Beautiful subject, light and composition! The lower fall is messing with my mind, though. I assume the geometry of the rocks is pushing to flow off of vertical but I have such an urge to distort it back to more vertical. At 24mm I wouldn’t expect that the distortion came from the lens.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts @Diane_Miller as they as always appreciated. I hear you on the lower section of the falls. They do kick to the right a little due to the rock contours. I will play around a little and see if I can pull it back to the left a little without knocking the upper falls and the handrails off of plumb.

Ed, I totally agree on your points about the lush green and also the horizontal view. I’m sure visitors to this site get a touch of feeling like they’re in Shangri-La from this scene… :sunglasses:
No thoughts for change from me… :+1:

1 Like

Ed, the greens are indeed lovely and the rain (low contrast) lets the details in the rocks show well. I also like how the color of the fencing coordinates with the rocks…can’t say I noticed that on my single visit, which was quite crowded on a sunny late summer day…

1 Like

Hi Ed, this is really a beautiful image you’ve captured, with nice lighting and the shutter speed gave you some silky water without overdoing it. Greenery always compliments a waterfall shot and, like @Mark_Seaver mentioned, I’m amazed the wood and stone tones are so close. I do feel like I’m missing out on the remaining part of the foreground falls. A vertical shot would have included more, but at the expense of the lush greenery, so that call has to made while there, and you did. Certainly worthy of hanging though.

1 Like

Many thanks for your thoughts @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Mark_Seaver and @Jim_Lockhart; always appreciated!

@Paul_Breitkreuz : I know that Mike and I always enjoy our visits to this lovely waterfall.

@Mark_Seaver : It definitely can get crowded later in the day. This particular day it was raining so the crowds weren’t to bad. I believe the new fencing was put up last year.

@Jim_Lockhart : Here is a vertical version for comparison.

I do like the vertical a lot Ed, it “finishes” the story of the waterfall. Must get up there again next year; been many years since driving the Kank.

1 Like

Thanks @Jim_Lockhart; glad you like the vertical. I love the drive on the Kank; so many wonderful views and places to stop.

Nice shot, Ed. The greens are so lush. I much prefer the landscape capture of this falls over a vertical. I think even the man made elements add some visual interest. I think a vertical accentuates the illusion of sideways water. Excellent. :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute

One of my last trips when I still lived in NH was to Sabbaday…but I spent more time up river than down in the gorge, although I do have some shots there, too. I like the perspective you have here…a nice taste of my home state.