Saddlebag Dragonfly

Frankly, I was rather surprised in post to see that I had captured great detail in this dragonfly considering I wasn’t using a macro lens.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything and everything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D810, 80-400 @400mm, f/9, 1/400, ISO 400

Processing was 50/50 ACR/PS. I did do both a lights mask for the BG to tone it down, yet leave enough of a backlight for effect and a darks mask for the body of the dragonfly.

That’s really nice, Chris. I especially like the background highlighting the dragonfly.

1 Like

Chris, I do like the white highlighted area right behind the dragonfly, making him stand out so nicely. Yes, a telephoto lens, like the one you used here can give you a macro shot from a bit of a distance, which is handy for flighty subjects.

1 Like

I use my 100-400mm to stalk bugs all the time. Makes a great ‘macro’ lens from a distance. I like this for the detail you got and also the backlighting and halo of OOF background. The little head turn is nice, too. I love the way the flick their heads around, taking everything in, missing nothing. Nice job.

1 Like

Thanks, Kris, Shirley and David

Very nice, with lovely detail! The lighting is wonderful and the spider web is the grace note! The lens gave you good bokeh – used in its originally intended sense of the quality of the OOF highlights.

1 Like