Saguaro Spines

Trying to do some photography around the home place. This is detail from a juvenile saguaro cactus along my driveway. I know it’s terribly static with the rigid vertical orientation and natural symmetry, but, when I start looking at all these spines, there’s almost another level of symmetry in how they grow that maybe sort of complements the larger symmetry of the image itself. It makes me sort of appreciate these big cactuses at another level.

Specific Feedback Requested

I feel it’s cropped tight on the sides in addition to being a static vertical image, but can’t think of any way to escape either. Just out of the frame are mores spines. There’s no option to include the dark in-between outside of these three rows.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

I like this a lot. The repetition and the stark outlines of the spines make me say ouch. I think paired with two more from the same cactus, more abstracts or constrained shots like this one, would be excellent. Make a triptych out of it and I think it would be amazing on a wall.

Wonderful and very fascinating! I would be tempted to try to crop a little wider on the sides with a lot of careful cloning of the intruding spines. But the image is quite compelling as presented.

1 Like

Tony: Always great to have you post over here. I especially like the conversion. I’m not sure there is a perfect crop with a subject like this and your choice to essentially fill the frame with the spines works for me. Glad you were able to find a worthy subject so close to home. >=))>

Hi Tony,

This has a nice abstract feel to it and thje BG presentation is perfect for this type of subject. The repetition of the diagonals in the spines and the subtle vertical lines of the cactus looks good. As far as cropping goes, I think that you took the best path. The curvature of the cactus shortens the space between the rows of spines, so you need to find a bigger cactus. Well done…Jim

This looks pretty dang cool to me. Great abstract, with alluring shapes and lines. Very creative.

Great abstract with B&W conversion done to perfection. I like it as it is. Like the c=vertical composition. The two black lines nicely brings the focus to spines. Tonality of spines complementary to lines in between.

Striking subject presented beautifully. Every one of the spines is in sharp focus and the repetition of the clusters mimics the repetition of the upright lines. Your conversion to b&w is spot on. Hope you keep them coming even after restrictions for COVID are lifted.

Even though the overall composition is static, the spines have a lot of energy and it feels like their energy is being constrained by the dark dividers and the frame. That tension makes this quite intriguing - and it’s very aesthetically pleasing.

Tony, first and foremost, thank you for all that you do for the community! I agree with all that has been said - I think this is perfect as is. I love the two vertical lines framing the middle row of spines and you’ve processed them in a way that is really appealing when viewed in full size up close. In response to your cropping conundrum - it made me wonder if a mild vignette would make the spines out of frame less distracting? But I think they would probably be too bright to overcome. I see what you are saying though - I find the spines on the outside rows pointing out to be interesting in how they are juxtaposed with the middle row. I think there’s enough negative space there that it overcomes the tight crop for me.

Ah, I too have faced this compositional challenge with images like this! I love the contrast, it expresses such energy with the spines standing out so strongly. I like Diane_Miller 's comment about going a little wider and cloning out any bits that poke in, yet I also feel that this is a study about the symmetry, and you have presented that very well here. By not including the edges of the spines on the left and right ridges, you are suggesting there is more, bringing to the mind’s eye a continuation of the scene. I personally love this as is.