Salmon River, OR

The Old Salmon River Trail was discovered just two years ago. I had hiked the upstream segment many times but overlooked the magnificent trail. It follows the river for 2.5 miles, with old growth one one side and acess to the river on the other.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome

Technical Details

Canon R5, 24-105mm at 61mm, 1/4sec, f22, ISO 320. Minor local and global contrast and vibrance adjustments in PS.

Hey Don,

The first thing I notice is that the water is very blue, what gives it away is that the rapids–which are always white, sometimes yellow of there are tannins in the water–are very blue. This should be your reference for saturation and white balance, keeping the foam white. I also think you can crop off some of the right side in order to accentuate the stranded tree in the middle of the stream more. It will bring it closer to the center and make it feel more significant. Here is a crop I think could work nicely:

It’s no quite 1:1 but close, so you could squish it more to fit that ratio if you wanted.

Also, the blacks here are quite heavy. You shouldn’t have intense contrast/deep shadows without intense sunlight. The light here is very diffused and even, which creates soft contrast. I would pull those back a bit and open them up to soften the overall contrast.

Hope this helps!

Your friend,
Eric