Salt Crystals

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

This early stage of development ,following an overnight rain storm that washed everything away, gives the viewer an opportunity to see the salt pushing through the mud cracks on the surface.
I might have made a closer view to show the crystals larger and eliminate the vertical row of crystals on the lower part of the frame.

Creative direction

To demonstrate to the viewer how complex these salt formations are and appreciate their delicacy.

Specific Feedback

Would a closer view have made you appreciate the forming crystals more.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D IV; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 31mm; f/16 @ 1/160 sec, ISO 200; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

The vast, surreal salt flats of Badwater Basin in Death Valley NP cover nearly 200 square miles, changing constantly. Salt crystals expand, pushing the crust of salt into rough, chaotic forms. Newly formed crystals ooze between mud cracks, sketching strange patterns on the surface of the salt flat.

Bob: I’m not sure why but I’m not connecting with this. At first I thought it might be lack of contrast but the histogram shows that’s pretty OK. I suspect there’s not much color in the scene but wonder if a color rendering might make the subject more apparent. Just my 2 cents. >=))>

Thank you @Bill_Fach for your comments. This is not worth additional affort. There must be a “Delete” key somewhere. Feel free to exercise it.