Same Sharpie, Same Perch, Different Day

The Sharp-shinned Hawk was back again on Friday and came in the late evening with some really nice light. He was also incredibly cooperative. I ran out of arm before he finally took off. On the down side, he didn’t give me any very dramatic poses. On the plus side, I was able to get quite close and change positions without a problem. Next time, I’ll try hauling the tripod out to see if I can get a better percentage of keepers. This pose was one of my favorites of the session and was actually early on when I was still near the porch door.

Specific Feedback Requested

From the angle I was shooting there was a light colored post in the distance behind and to the left of the bird. I painted over it using the greens from the rest of the image. Did it work? The shadow on the white under-tail coverts was pretty blue and I warmed that up quite a bit-too much, not enough?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/11 (left over from shooting a pair of House Finches together, but I think it helped here as well), 1/1250, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3955x5045. Taken at 7:27 PM on May 21st.

1 Like

Dennis, I would be vey pleased to call this my image. I see nothing wrong with it. I love the head tilt. Great eye contact, excellent details, and I sure can’t tell where you said you edited it.

1 Like

Hi Dennis, nice light and details throughout. I like the pose. No nits from me. A fine image.

Hi Dennis! I really love this pose! This is my favorite of the photos that you have of this beautiful bird. He looks so sweet and friendly towards you!

Hi Dennis
Well your correction work, I really looked and could not find anything I would have changed. Love the head turn and eye contact.
Peter

You have a nice pose (interesting how often the first or first few shot(s) in a series is the best). The detail is excellent and the processing seems flawless. Nice work.

The pose actually works pretty well in the larger image. I think your processing is superb. The detail and color are really quite pleasing.

I don’t see any evidence of the edits, Dennis. You got a nice pose from him and details look good. I wish my Sharp-shinned would cooperate this well!