Return of the Sharpie

We hadn’t seen much of the Sharp-shinned Hawk in several weeks when yesterday it came in to the feeder area at least 4 times. The first was early morning with fog and it let me get very close. This one was taken late afternoon, luckily with filtered sun.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/10, 1/640, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3719x5077. I used a levels adjustment through a luminosity mask to bring down the whites on the breast and leg highlights a bit. Some final touch up with the local adjustment tool in LR. Taken at 3:58 pm on June 8th.

2 Likes

Nice capture of this guy, Dennis. The Sharp-shinneds and Cooper’s rarely pose like this for me! Good details, color, head turn, and excellent bg. Well done.

Wonderful details and pose – and fantastic to be able to sneak up on it! I love the weathered fence (?) and the soft BG.

Hi @Diane_Miller . It is an old fence rail. I took three of them and arranged the like a goal post for my main backyard feeding station. There are hooks in the bottom of this cross rail for hanging feeders.

A beautiful image of the Sharpie, Dennis. Wonderful facial details, especially the eye. I have a tough time getting close enough to these guys.

I love all your hawk photos! He’s so beautiful and I think you’ve captured a more relaxed side of their personality! Well done and beautifully composed!

HI Dennis
The soft light really help bring out Sharpie over all coloring and eye detail. Nice framing and the green background also help to highlight the Sharpie. Very nice photograph.
Peter

Hello, Dennis, nice job and the love the way the hawk has its head turned. Techs are great ! Best, Hans

Very nice shot and the lighting is perfect. Well done…Jim

Lovely “Bird on a Stick” Dennis - nicely exposed. Wondering what’s drawing its attention on it’s right ?