San Mateo Coast + rework

Rework:

Original:

I was looking at my older images and found this one and decided I like it very much. The 19th century landscape painters I admire most didn’t paint ‘grand’ grand landscapes but very personal ones. And I realized I had been doing the same at one time. I have since gone in a different direction. The time that has gone by has given me a chance to look at these with fresh eyes and reevaluate some.

What do you think? Are the colors too neutral? If so which ones? Is that distant log much of an issue?

Canon 6D, 24-105mm, tripod, etc.

1 Like

Hi Igor, this is a wonderful “personal” landscape. I think the muted colors fit nicely with atmospherics. It has a peaceful feeling to it, and I can see myself sitting on a rock admiring the view. Great image. The log doesn’t bother me at all. Well seen.

I think that this is very beautiful and it’s a true pleasure to look at. I like that it’s calming and not too intense – a perfect image to go with my morning coffee.

I’m not using a very good monitor right now so I shouldn’t comment on the colours but they all look “just right” to me. Not to strong nor too weak. And that log is just fine where it is - It adds a little something extra for the eyes to explore.

1 Like

Beautiful tranquil image Igor. I really like the soft pastel colors, they all work together nicely and they work with the overall peaceful mood. The log didn’t bother me at until you mentioned it haha. I think I would personally clone it out along with the other little black spots in the middle of the sand.

I thought this needed a color boost. Better or worse?

2 Likes

I like the boost in color in the rework Igor. I think the layers in this really make it for me. A beauty.

@David_Bostock, @Blake_Randall, @Tom_Nevesely, @Mario_Cornacchione

Thank you for your comments. I think the original is actually better than the rework. Maybe something between the two would be best but it should be closer to the original. The colors in the rework just look unnatural and this is the type of image where it should look life like. I’m thinking particularly of those blues. I don’ t recall the ocean looking like that.

1 Like