Sand Flipper

Image:

Description: A Galapagos Sea Lion was flipping sand over itself very quickly. It took me several shots to get it right, including having the sand in the right position viz a viz the green foliage background.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a1, Sony 100-400mm @ 400mm, manual exposure, 1/1000th at f/8, ISO 800.

2 Likes

A good shot of some unusual action, Charles. Good thinking to arrange the shot so there was enough green in the background to make the sand spray stand out. Looking at the large version though, I am a bit surprised that the image isn’t very sharp. I’m guessing that the problem was the relatively low shutter speed or it’s a significant crop because the Sony FE100400GM is an extremely sharp lens and on the A1 it should be an exceptionally crisp shot.

Is it possibly because my focal point was about half way back the animal rather than on the face? I would think that at f/8 all would be in focus, but I suspect that is the problem. I was so concentrating on the flying sand that I didn’t think to put the focal point on the face.

Looking closely at the image, I believe you’re correct. The grasses behind the seal do look sharper than the seal.

1 Like