Sandhill Crane after the Rain

Image:

Description:

A pair of sandhill cranes were preening after a morning rain in one of our local parks. The cranes are used to the presence of people and as long as you approach quietly, they will not care. I have 100’s of crane portraits, but I never tire of them. I like the texture of the damp feathers and coloration of the plumage.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Z9 600mm f4 (1/800 sec at f5.6, ISO 2000) Topa DeNoise, Full Frame, Hue and Saturation Adjustment Layer for BG.

1 Like

Hi Jim
I am so often trappet in the mind set of only photographing the entire bird. It is always nice to get lesson in photography.
Peter

1 Like

Thank you @peter. Sometimes the composition for the entire bird may not work, so this is plan B. I still do not have a reasonable in flight shot of sandhill cranes. They will sometimes fly right over our house and are either too far out or way to close in…Jim

Jim, this is a very nice portrait of the Sandhill. That nice BG really makes him stand out. The ruffled wet feathers help make this even better. Very nice.

1 Like

An excellent portrait. The color, detail, pose, plumage textures and colors, are all outstanding. Superb background. I really like portraits because of the detail one can experience. There is definitely an art to this type of photography. Part of it is being able to get very close without disturbing the environment of the bird and its “headspace”.

1 Like

This is superb!! Wonderful composition with captivating detail in lovely light. The bird stands out so well against that soft BG!!

1 Like

Enjoying the close-up detail of the portrait. The nice background makes the crane pop. You’re lucky to have these magnificent birds close by.

1 Like