Sandhill crane portrait. .

What technical feedback would you like if any? All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All!

_DSC2132|624x500

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D850
Sigma 150-600mm @600mm
ISO 320
1250 sec @ f11

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I’m primarily interested in your reactions to the close crop. I included another shot taken in a burst at the same time, for reference. The larger image is roughly 25% of the original, and the close crop is roughly 25% of that.

(original 8.2kx5.5k - large size 2.7kx2.1k - close crop 1.4kx1.1k)

Cropped and tweaked the exposure, and levels a bit, but no sharpening or noise recuction, etc.

I don’t see many partial shots. . . wildlife portraits if you will posted. Sometimes I like a more intimate view of the animal, than the whole body shot. Looking for opinions and tips.

Thank you in advance.

I like the composition of the crop, David, but to my eye, it’s just a bit too much of a push to crop it that far. The image quality seems to be starting to suffer a bit. I’m also wondering if it might have a bit more impact if it were rotated a bit to five the crane a slight upward trajectory?

1 Like

Hi David
The first thing I am going to say, that really good quality for the amount of cropping you did.
I prefer the full frame shot, but on that close-up I would have shown only the left wind forward.
(cropping the body out completely). It is nice to look at different angle of nature.
Peter

1 Like

The image quality isn’t bad but it’s not really good either, which is understandable considering you are down to about 6% of the original image if you are looking at 25 percent of 25 percent. I do like portraits but try to get much closer than you did here if I am going to crop to a head shot. I would also prefer the crane not be flying away, I think that reduces the impact of the portrait.

1 Like

For my taste, the image quality suffers too much in both frames, but especially the close crop. Otherwise, I agree with Nate; there would be a lot more connection with the bird if it were angled toward you.

1 Like