Sandhill Cranes

A photo I took a few years ago at a Keith Bauer photo worksop in Bosque Del Apache. Looking forward to getting back there in another year or so.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 15-600 at 293 mm; 1/500 at f6.3; ISO 640

4 Likes

Really nice to get the interaction between these 2 cranes. Tells such a nice story. The splash of water around the left crane adds a lot to the image as well. Nicely done!

1 Like

A great interaction between these birds Allen. Love the wings up position and as Keith said, the splashing water from their feet. The environment is terrific. Beautiful and warm looking.

1 Like

Great interaction and gorgeous colors!! I like the frame, too. I wonder if some NR would work well?

1 Like

Wow! I love this Allen, it reminds me of a painting I feel like I’ve seen before with birds in it, I love the soft grasses in the background and surrounding the cranes. Great capture! Were they doing that courtship dance that they do? I’ve seen that one time before, it’s really neat.

1 Like

It does look as if they were dancing, but if I recall correctly, the one on the left just landed and was telling the other guy to get out of the way. I think the splash is from the landing. Thanks for commenting.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try. For some reason the noise is more obvious when I post than when I view it in PS/LR.

As others have noted, the interaction is very nice, Allen. I’m not bothered by the noise level. However the spotted water is close to the same tonality as the cranes’ plumage and I find it a bit distracting. I’m not sure what the best approach would be as I don’t think it could be cleaned up very easily. Maybe a luminosity mask on the water and just bring down the brighter areas a bit?

1 Like

Very nice interaction between these two cranes. The large image works really well and I find some of the distractions disappear when enlarged. Yes a little noise reduction would help.