Sandpath to Heaven

A winding dune path caught my eye in a recent visit to Little Sable Point on Lake Michigan.

Specific Feedback Requested

General feedback welcome, as well as specific feedback about the processing. I generally feel the composition is solid, but something’s not quite working for me - the sky had some interest but when processed to play up the drama, it looks overdone… muted down a bit and it looks dull. I want the image to work but am not convinced by my edits.

Technical Details

Taken with a 70-200 at 70mm. Processed b/w because the natural colors were washed out (grasses were a dull brown-green, not much blue was showing in the sky), plus I wanted a challenge! ISO200, f/4, 1/800

Beth, the s curve of the path is really lovely and I think you did a great job with the black and white conversion! I like how the path leads us up and over the hill and makes me really curious what’s beyond the horizon. Looking at this image inspires me to go out and explore so in my mind it’s definitely a winner!

Thank you so much, Tom, for your kind words! Your take-away — wanting to climb up to see what’s over the horizon — is exactly what I hoped for :-).

Beth

Excellent composition! You nailed that! Overall I think the processing is fine. I could see maybe adding a little contrast or darkening down the grass on the sides of the path. I feel like the sky is too bright. I would like to see more texture in the sky and see some more of those nice puffy clouds with some drama/mood. If you can darken the sky, bring some texture into the sky, and have a nice graduation from dark to light from the top of the frame…that would really pull this image together!

DT

Beth, this is a great image with a very strong composition. Like it a lot! As DT already have stated, the sky could be adjusted, another alternative could be to crop away most of it. An example is given below.

1 Like

Thanks, David! I’ve made some adjustments based on your comments. More on the right track? Or…? Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks, Ola! I appreciate your kind words and the alternative crop idea. I think that could work, too. Will keep working with it :slight_smile:

Beth! Yes! The edits look great! Nicely done!

1 Like

Thanks so much, David, for the great tips and learning! I appreciate that you took a moment to reply.