Sandstone Abstracts

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’d like some pointers on the direction to take this photo in as far as color goes. Also would like opinions on overall balance and composition.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Stephanie. This reminds me of some of the details in Capitol Gorge, one of my favorite destinations in Utah. As to color balance, that can be very subjective, especially with different monitors and ambient light when viewing, but overall to me the best judge is yourself looking at the print. Also the geology of the area can vary quite a lot. Overall it seems accurate. The comp is interesting, and I particularly like the wavy curves along the middle areas. For me that small portion of the top RHS tends to disrupt the nice flow of the rest. I could see doing a longish panoramic to emphasize the middle section.

1 Like

Thank you for your feed back Bill! I appreciate it. I did try a panoramic crop but it felt incomplete. I shot this scene at many different angles and this felt like it was the most balanced and complete composition. I guess this scene does look like it could be from the southwest! It was actually shot in the pnw! Thank you again.

I like the way the darker colors anchor the bottom, Stefanie. The upper right is fine with me, I kind of like the way the transverse lines in the two upper corners frame the image. I would be tempted to crop just a tiny bit from the top to eliminate the light area in the far upper left. Colors are definitely subjective. I like this palette, but I can see where you could do all kinds of interpretations starting from this.

A beautiful find and very well photographed giving you lots of room for expression in processing.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis! Those were my thoughts exactly on the two upper corners. I thought it framed it nicely. I see what you mean by cropping slightly to eliminate the bright part in the corner. I was learning towards a warmer color palette but I think I might’ve pushed the red a bit too far in this. Thank you for your feedback!

Stephanie, I like the mix of swirls, ridges, and horizontal “lines”. The colors look very realistic and you’ve got a good mix of lighter and darker. I think that when creating abstracts, getting a good balance of brightness and darkness is a key element, as we respond strongly to bright, dark, color and shape. I find the extra glow in the upper right acting as a good lead in to exploring the rest of the view, while the darker ridge along the bottom works well as a visual stop, keeping my eyes roaming the frame.

1 Like

Stefanie: I love this kind of shot and always look for potential images to extract from the larger scene. I like your colors and comp here and especially the detail in the larger version. I also like that there is no obvious scale. :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Great abstract and some good critiques as well. I agree with them mostly. One of the things I liked is the thumbnail got my curiousity bump going in for a closer look. That doesn’t always happen!

1 Like

@Bill_Fach @Phil_Hodgkins @Mark_Seaver Thank you all for your comments! I appreciate the feedback! @Mark_Seaver what caught my eye was the line leading from the bottom left. I’m not sure if you see it the way I do but it looks like an arm to me!

1 Like

Stefanie, now that you’ve pointed it out, the stretched out arm and hand stand out. Seeing hidden “things” is part of the fun of abstracts, that arm looks definitely alien to me :laughing:.

1 Like

I love the flow of this image from left to right, the sense of movement. Congrats on the WP. You asked for suggestions about color. I would drop the red/oranges in the lrc ever so slightly, perhaps to the level of the ulc, because they do draw the eyes to that part of the frame.

1 Like