Sandstone Waterfall

Uncropped for Reference:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

During my adventure through Capitol Reef National Park this past summer, I came across a sandstone wall that had really nice red striations. There were numerous trees & bushes in the way to shoot wide angle, so I decided to put on my RF 100-500 and do a 10-image pano on this section of the wall.

Specific Feedback

I love the color of the rock and the lines created by the red streaks. I think it turned out well, but it seems like my images never turn out as envisioned when I do an abstract on patterns in sandstone. I have a better feeling about this one.

Did I overprocess/underprocess it? Is this scene aesthetically pleasing to begin with?

EDIT: I uploaded the uncropped pano.

Technical Details

10 images at 100mm, 1/100s, f/11, ISO400

2 Likes

The sandstone walls in Capitol Reef offer so many photographic opportunities. I like the minimalism in your composition. The processing is spot on. The side lighting is perfect, and allows the crossbedding to show through the vertical staining. Well done!

Yes, it is a very good beginning and more…. Very nice colors and structures. The image tells us something, sand and hard rocks are also liquid! I recognize your feelings, I also have my doubts. If you wouldn’t have those, you stand still in your development. So go on and make the shots you love. Well done, Kyle.

Kyle, your processing looks great. Yes this is aesthetically pleasing. I like the juxtaposition of smooth sandstone with the more textured section at the bottom. Nice structure in the image. I could see this rotated as a horizontal composition as well.

My impression of your image is the wall is being plastered but the workers got disgruntled so they left before they could finish the job.

Very nice Kyle. I like the columnar look of the upper image sitting on a somewhat chaotic base. When I look at it, those columns make me feel like it needs just a touch of ccw rotation, though I don’t think there’s any one angle that’s going to be perfect. The processing looks line to me. It brought out a lot of fine detail without looking artificial.

To my eye the processing is spot on. I like the texture and sense of depth created by the various shades of red. Nicely spotted and composed.

@Bill_Pelzmann, thank you. I like the crossbedding, as well!

@HennyJA, glad you like it!

@Alfredo_Mora, I debated doing a horizontal composition. I just uploaded the uncropped pano so you can see what else there is to include. I liked the vertical crop the best, but I m open to suggestions if you see a more unique crop. Including some of the textured bottom may be good?

@Dennis_Plank, thank you for the feedback on processing. I am glad I did not overdo it. I’ll play around with a slight rotation next time I sit with the file.

@DeanRoyer, thank you!

Kyle, I think your original composition works well. Thanks for posting the uncropped pano.