Sandstone Mesa

Any feedback welcome

Any

Shot handheld in the evening with Canon 5DM4, 100-400 lens at 220mm, f5.6, 1/4000 sec, iso 1600
I didn’t have much sky to work with so I tried to desaturate it and I thought it was interesting, let me know what you think.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Todd,

Great job making use of the longer focal length to showcase this rock formation (and the light striking it.) The foreground rock and trees are key in making this a strong landscape. I also like the vignetting in the sky - it really helps frame the scene.

I definitely noticed the desaturation in the sky, thinking you had gone b&w there before reading your comments. There’s hints of blue on the sides and so for me, transitioning to non-color is slightly out of sync, I think. I’d be curious to see the original, or perhaps back off on the desaturation. I think with the natural vignetting, the existing clouds work well with the overall comp.

If anything, my only other suggestion would be to actually bring the saturation down of the light band ; the yellow at the transition from shadow to light is a little to yellow - at least for me.

A couple of tweaks and this will really stand out.

Lon

I like the light and the strong graphic nature of the mesa. I think your desaturation of the sky has introduced a little noise, at least to my eye in the large version.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Ditto on a bit of noise in the sky. I had noticed too, but forgot to mention.

I like the foreground rock patterns leading my eye into the Mesa I think it works really well. As far as the desaturated sky, I’d rather see at least some color in it rather than it be completely gray. For me the bright colors in the Mesa make the gray sky really stand out to me.