Sandwich Tern II

Seen on the beach at Sanibel Island.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 400, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Nice Tern shot ! Well done on exposure and the techs. Normally, against-the-sky-shots are not my favorite, but since you have a hint of clouds in the images it doesn’t bother me this time :wink: . Cheers, Hans

Hi Allen
Good catch. Terns are not easy to photograph. Was this late afternoon, the Tern’s color is a little worm.
Peter

Well done Allen. I really like that speedy tern look to the pose. Nice and sharp and well exposed. And no overlaps with the head which is sometimes hard to avoid.

An excellent in-flight Tern shot, Allen! Terns are difficult to catch because they flit around so fast but you definitely caught this one! Exposure is perfect with great detail in the white feathers. Speaking of white feathers, I noticed that the image seems a little too warm, especially for a cloudy/hazy day. I downloaded it and made a white balance correction:

@Gary_Minish @peter
Thanks for the comments everyone and the rework Gary. This was taken near sunset with the sun out so I think that contributed to the warm color.

Excellent as presented. A good pose that shows off the tern to advantage. Sharp and well exposed. I’m not bothered by the warm tone, especially given the time of day you took this.

I like the warm tones on this. Excellent flight position.

You got a great angle on this one, Allen. The exposure looks good and it’s tack sharp. I see hints of variation in the background sky that you might think about emphasizing a little, though it’s easy to make it look unnatural.