Sandwich Tern

These Sandwich Terns feed from the sea, and due to the wind took the ‘inland’ route next to a dike to fly back to their breeding colony. That way they had less headwind. I positioned myself on the dike so I could get farmland as a BG instead of the sky. Thanks for any comments & have a nice Sunday,

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500 @ 500mm | 1/2500s | f6.3 | ISO180 | underexposed 1FS | handheld - no blurring or the like, background is as was :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Hans
Nice work and a well thought out photograph. Terns are very fast, getting this profile view , shows very good camera control. The blacks, white and eye look great.
Peter

1 Like

Very good, Hans. The fish is a nice bonus and I love the farmland background-it worked wonderfully.

1 Like

Wonderful detail in the whites and you got a nice catchlight to make the eye visible. It looks very streamlined, like some sort of modern aircraft. Good catch for both of you!

1 Like

Outstanding composition, flight position, background, and exposure. I know what you mean about the wind and bird behavior. We were at a location on the northwest coast of Iceland 3 days ago and experience 100 plus KPH gale force winds. While we were almost blown off the cliffs, the Arctic Terns in the area seem to hardly notice, Amazing!

1 Like

Got to love this Hans. Consider cropping 10% off the left - decentralizing the bird and accentuating its flight path

1 Like

The eye is sharp and good detail. This is not easy to get because these guys move pretty fast. Just my personal taste but I would like the bird to be just a bit more to the left of the image. Nice shot.

1 Like

This looks great, Hans. You’ve got good details in the bird and it’s catch against an nicely soft, but interesting background. Good planning and skill clearly paid off.

1 Like

When I first saw this one, I thought this looks a a Hans photo. The super soft background and tack sharp subject is wonderful. No nits from me. An awesome photo and like it as presented…Jim

1 Like

Thanks all for your comments and thanks also for the EP ! Cheers, Hans