We're here!

This time of year the Black Tearns have chicks. The breed mainly one man-made little floatings islands. The species was going rapidly downhill, so in several spots these islands have been installed for some years now and with moderate succes. This is the last place I know where the little islands don’t have fences. After realising that the islands were also used by Grebes and Ducks, the idea was to have little fences around them, making it impossible for these species to use them. Good for the Terns, but for photography of course not really nice. So, this morning I went there, as I assume as of next season this ones will also be ‘Grebe-protected’ :wink:
Light was not that good, but still happy with the result.
Thanks for any feedback, Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/800s | f7.1 | ISO450 | tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hans, what a sweet image, and nice story to go with it. I just love the way the babies, with their mouths open and ready for dinner and waiting and looking expectantly. Great job catching the parent in the flight coming into them. Nice low angle on the babies. :+1: :+1:

Excellent image, Hans, and an interesting back story… I love the composition and the pond lilies disappearing into the background. I can just hear the chicks saying: “One little fish for three hungry chicks?”

Excellent work.

Great moment. Great story being told in the image. All the elements line up perfectly. Love the spacing in the frame and the dark tern with nice background.

Compelling behavior here Hans. Impeccable timing to get all mouths open. The water lilies add to the warmth of the image.

Adorable Hans. Can’t image any thing I would change.

Very cool moment. Nicely captured.

HI Hans
You have love little chick, yellow follows and break-fast on the wing. Vary nice work.
Peter

Wonderful moment captured Hans. Superb comp and techs-congrats.

No critique here. Love this photo. Quite the moment! I could see this one winning some awards.