Little Tern with Fish

Description:

This juvenile Little Tern took some time swallowing this relatively large prey, which allowed me to crawl a bit closer. The bird is standing in the surf, a small wave just came rolling in.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/000s | f/5 | ISO900 | overexposed 1FS | handheld, lying on the (wet)sand
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
NO

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

The wave coming in under the standing tern gives this an interesting look, Hans. When I first looked at it, something seemed wrong with the pose until I read your description. Excellent work.

Terns are fascinating to watch; you caught this one with very typical behavior. A very pleasing action comp.

First thought the tern was in flight. Nice closeup look of this little one.

Wonderful! Lovely action with great detail in a lovely setting. Do birds ever choke to death trying to swallow something too big?

Hi Hans,

The sharpness and lighting are outstanding. The incoming wave is an essential part of the comp. Awesome…Jim

Hi Hans
Very interesting photograph, I think of it as art on canvas, rather than a photograph print.
Peter

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , @David_Schoen , @Stephen_Stanton , @Diane_Miller , @Jim_Zablotny and @peter for you kind reaction ! Cheers, Hans

This is beautiful @Hans_Overduin ! I love the softness of the Little Tern’s wings, and the sharpness of its eyes. The timing to have that water hide its legs is great, and your super low perspective is just great. Did you got a little sand in your pockets? :slight_smile: :grinning: