Santa Cruz Island Fox - Repost

Looking for a Handout

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Channel Islands National Park is about fifteen water miles across the Santa Barbara Channel. The Island Foxes are thriving now after a serious effort at protecting and conservation of their environment.

Specific Feedback

I tried to tone down the little bit of foot that showed up next to the foxes head in the repost, and I tried a tighter crop to see if moving the eyes up in the frame help. I had my telephoto zoom with me, and the first little fox came right by us before I could get a good focus on him. The second shot was across the picnic area a bit.

Technical Details

1, 2, 3. Canon 7D MII, f13, 1/250 sec, iso 1250, -0.3 exp bias, 560 mm (100-400/1.4X)
4. f7.1, 1/250 sec, iso 400, -0.3 ex bias, 247 mm

Good pose and eye contact !
However slightly visible paw behind the face is bit distracting.
Before seeing your techs, I knew that it’s from a long zoom.

Thank you @JRajput Jagdeep. I toned that foot down a bit. I can see how it kind of distorts the fox’s face a bit. I also re-cropped to see if that helped bring the eyes into focus better.

Hi Ed! These are nice images. As Jagdeep said, good pose and eye contact on both images. I also like the rich color on the fox. It looks like it was close to mid day, so nice job handling the light. I agree about the paw in the first image. I would also consider darkening the background just a bit to create a little more separation and allowing the fox to stand out a bit more. It works well as is but it could be a decent experiment.

1 Like

Thank you @Steve_Kennedy, I like the results of the rework. I darkened the BG a bit more, kept the offending paw with the BG to reduce the light on it. I also tried a closer crop to focus more on the foxes’ face.

Your repost looks good Ed. Well done!