Sapling

Hey everybody,

So i saw this small sapling between some trees today and i tried to frame it in the middle of them. ^That branch on the top make’s me a bit ichy ahah but for now it’s staying (not easy to remove i guess).
Used the lens open as it could and longer focal distance to try and separate the spaling from the rest of the trees.

Thank you all,
Cheers

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Light balance with the background and colours, and any feedback.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition, are the side trees (framing trees) to much in the frame?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

It’s a single exposure. Post processed on Lightroom and Photoshop to remove some unwanted stuff on the foreground.

0.8seg f/5.6 ISO50 @105mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ig: jferrao88

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

To me, the large trees are blocking the subject, keeping the viewer outside the image. A crop isolates without killing the story of a sapling in a forest.

Increased highlights. Grad filter on the bottom half - increased highlights (more) and shadows (less).

1 Like

Love the post you did, thanks. The lights are much more appealing.
I’m not particularly fond with the crop, maybe because I had the image on my mind with those trees. But thanks, maybe it will grow on me with time. I’ll have both version on LR.

Thans again for the feedback,
Cheers

João, I like how you’ve framed the young tree. The two trunks on the side do a good job of directing the view into the trees as they show some depth to the forest. Those dead branches are a distraction, but cloning them out would take a huge effort. It may be possible to burn them in using a luminosity mask. Similarly, a luminosity mask might let you burn in the bright green area directly behind the young tree.

Hey @Mark_Seaver thanks for the feedback.
I’m watching luminosity mask tutorials for sometime but havent tried them yet, but this could be a good oportunity to try.

Cheers