Savannah Sparrow

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All

Pertinent technical details or techniques: I shot this guy out my car window on the side of the road using my D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, 1/4000th, f/5.6, ISO 1000, 500mm, cropped to 1828 x 1468, hand held

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice sharp image and clear background. Nothing to complain about.

A very nice image of one of my favorite sparrows, Dave. If you have more room on the left and top, I think it could use a touch there. A very good image.

I like this image a lot Dave. You couldn’t ask for more unobtrusive background, the lighting is wonderful in my estimation, bird seemed sharp and I liked it’s pose. How often should out of the car myself they make great blinds. Personally I think you did well!

Awesome capture, wonderful catch light in the eye. The crown on the head looks maybe a tad over sharpened in the large version (at least on my monitor). I’m curious about why you used such a high ISO, it looked like you had great light to work with. On the 200-500mm @5.6 you were shooting with it wide open (something most shooters try to avoid). Also 1/4000th sec was certainly overkill for the static bird on the wire. I’m not trying to be critical because I can’t argue with your result, it is a fantastic image. Perhaps you weren’t aware depending on the camera’s shooting mode, what mode do you normally shoot in? Thanks for posting it! :beers:

Nice-looking image with excellent light and color. Good head turn and pose. Can’t argue with that background. In the large image, it does appear the point of focus was on the shoulder region as I see a tiny bit of softness around the eye and head. But I am being quite critical. It is a tight crop.

I took this shot not long after I got the camera and I probably had it intentionally had it set at 1/4000th in hopes of getting a bird in flight… especially a Red-tail. I almost always shoot at auto ISO. Knowing what I know now, I would’ve probably shot this guy at 1/1000th or less. I did not do any post sharpening. Also, now I try to use spot focus on the eyeballs for the best faces possible. Side note: I just got in from a bird walk this morning with a couple of heavy-hitter birders and the prize sighting of the morning was a Says Phoebe. It was doing a lot of hovering 3-4 ft off of the ground like a Kestrel does and it was not far off. This was one of those times when I only took my binoculars and didn’t lug the camera along. I think I could’ve maybe gotten a nice BIF shot of it as well as a Kildeer furiously taking a bird bath close up. Dang it twice!

You nailed that one, bright and clean image, showing the bird very well. Of course I cannot see what I can’t see, but I would have preferred a 2:3 ratio, as it would work nicely with the line of the wire, but that’s just my personal feeling. Other than that, fine a presented :slight_smile: ! Cheers, Hans