Save it for later

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Still testing and tweaking the new camera and so had a wander around the yard and found this cool stump on the edge of the river while trying to avoid so much otter poop it was unreal. Anyway…I didn’t notice at the time that one of them stashed a snack here. Either that or it was this mussel’s unluckiest day ever to be stranded when the river was high.

Specific Feedback

These little slices probably only appeal to me, but I’ve been surprised before. I can always shoot this again, so have at it for suggestions. Well, until someone comes back to claim their stash.

Technical Details

handheld

Lr for all processing including a little crop, wb adjustment, added some exposure and lifted the shadows, but left the blacks alone. Calibration panel to boost some blues and reds. Distraction removal. Sharpening & nr. Used some masking to lower saturation in the yellow parts of the stump and raise clarity in the parts above the surface.

I confess, Kristen, that I have taken literally hundreds of photographs very much like this one of towheads protruding from a watery field. I always enjoy taking these kinds of pix but I’ve never found they make particularly compelling photographs especially compared to the raw experience of taking them. I sort of feel the same about this. I honestly don’t find the towhead compelling enough to hold my attention. However … I’m looking at the water - the shapes and textures that subtly emerge out of the light on and movement of the water itself and I’m thinking that that could be a very compelling abstract indeed. Working more in the abstract mode you have freedom to play with colour as well.

2 Likes

Not surprising at all, Kerry. These little scenes are weird and so…

I did take a few photos of the water, too, but oddly, it doesn’t appeal as much to me as I find that so many people try that kind of thing that I don’t know that I need to add more. But it’s in the computer now and I shot it using the Leica Monochrome photo style just for fun so it could prove interesting.

I agree the water is gorgeous – and I really hate to say it but the lovely colors remind me a bit of an oil slick. That’s not a comment on your image, it’s a comment on my environment.

But seriously, I find the stump appealing – very interesting shape and lovely reflection. And the mussel is icing on the cake, echoed by the stone and the tiny twig. I think the detail in the water is essential to giving the stump a resting place, or grounding.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - the water is cool when it reflects a blue sky with some clouds the patterns are pretty great. The stump is what it is, but the mussel was a surprise. An otter probably put it there to try to pry it open.

Beautiful. Like a mountain rising out of the ocean. I am very drawn to the colors and patterns in the water. Did you take any photos of those alone?

I have to say, that when I opened this up and then blew it up to a larger size, it was the abstract nature of the water swirl edges that made me think this would be an interesting abstract. Moving to the stump, I immediately saw the mussel and thought that this was salt water. The stump doesn’t hold my interest in and of itself but that water, the colors and the swirls make my eyes wander around top to bottom and edge to edge. That has to be a good thing, Right? I might make the stump less prominent by reducing the contrast and bringing up the exposure on it. That could be completely wrong but just trying figure a way to make it stand out a little bit less than it does.
Now, if you can get the otter to come back and grab his snack, winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Thanks @Michael_Lowe & @David_Haynes - I guess I have to dig up some of my water abstracts. That seems to be the star here. Often I just sit on the dock with the long lens on and if the otters don’t cooperate (which is all the time) I have shot the swirling patterns. So much that I don’t do it anymore. I guess I need to go hard drive diving.

1 Like

Kris, I think the water needs the stump. Although I was attracted by the water’s color, it was the stump that made me want to know more and look more closely at it.

Must admit, Kris, another vote for the water. When I first looked at it I thought it was a video. It seemed like it was moving! Something must be in the reflections of the various colors that appear to create motion, at least for me. Yes, I did see the stump, but can’t take my eyes off that gorgeous water. Great shot.

Thanks @Barbara_Djordjevic & @linda_mellor - another split vote. This is rather fun. I should put up more weird stuff. But that said, I’ve just worked on a pure water image taken a few years back to see what you all think. Here’s a link to the water photo.

1 Like