Stumps on a Stormy Beach

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In early October, I attended a photography workshop in Bandon, OR; the focus, was seascapes of course. Oregon shorelines can cloudy and windy, especially as Fall turns into Winter. The group was working a lighthouse and the waves crashing into the rocks. After some shooting there, I turned and started to head up a beach. The wind was whipping;, sand was blowing, rain was intermittent but driving. I spotted some objects some up the beach and walked toward them. Lots of logging debris on the beach and then discovered to my delight, that the underside of the stump had real character. I worked the scene for some time, by the time I finished, all my fellow workshop attendees were shooting this scene. Sometimes, it pays to wander.

Specific Feedback

First time really getting into seascapes. Learned alot from the workshop guide, but interested in comments from other seascape photographers.

Technical Details

8 sec f/11 ISO 64 24-120mm f/4 @ 36mm Edited in LR/PS. Working in layers in PS, blurring some of the mid ground.

2 Likes

Really nice Gary; I’m enjoying this. The overall simplicity of most of the image emphasizes that amazing root structure, and your delight was well founded; it’s the star of the show. I think the smaller stump adds as well; it’s supporting cast member that gives just that little bit more interest. Excellent use of focus as well. No nits; well done.

1 Like

I dig the DOF you chose for this - with the distant stump kind of just hanging out there… please please please tell me you got some photos of the wood and just the wood??? it looks SO TASTY :drooling_face:

This is a great image in my opinion. The stump does indeed have a lot of character. It’s so intriguing because it doesn’t look like wood to me. A stump is not the first thing that comes to mind. Kudos for exploring all points of view and coming up with the best perspective.

Veeeery cool!! It is fantastic that the stump appears (to me, anyway) to be wet, but it looks like reflections were quenched by a polarizer. Or maybe it was just the light – wonderful in any case! I love the sweeping line of the water’s edge and the sketch of distant OOF vegetation! I echo @Matt_Payne in hoping we will see closeups of this amazing find!

Matt, thanks and yes, I did!

Gary: I just passed through Bandon in early October on my way to Brookings but didn’t tarry long since it was almost completely socked in. Still one of my favorite places on the coast. Kudos to you for a great find and a fine capture. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like