Save no soul

This curling bit of grass caught my attention because of its shape - so elegant and delicate. I love the way it curls and did my best to get some good separation of the individual blades. Sun filtered through clouds gave a little more contour and shadow. We recently got about 8 inches of powder that so softly surrounded all the smaller plants and wildflowers that it’s heaven out there. Just had to wait for the breeze to quit it for this one.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

So I’m experimenting with the colors reflected in snow a little here. Sky was mostly cloudy, but they were thin and breaking up so there was blue sky showing through and I left that reflection in the snow for two reasons - to evoke a time of day when the sun isn’t directly overhead and a bit more tenderness in terms of the scene and how I relate to it. Pulling the blue slider way down gave the image a harsher feel and I found that at odds with the grass. What’s your take?

Technical Details

Handheld kneeling in the snow - I love getting down in there

Lr for a bit of messing with the white balance and removing some distractions. Masked the grass to add texture, clarity and sharpness. Horizontal flip and a crop. Touch of vibrance and saturation. I did pull the blue slider down to -11 and that seemed the right balance.

I like this one a lot, Kris. The direction and curves of the grass really brings this one out. The background snow came out well, snow photos can always be tricky. I also like space on the right side showing a direction. The story is a cold winter day but spring is not far away which the light shining on the grass blades.

Kris, the isolated curled leaning stem makes for a fine subject agsint the solid background. The hard to photograph snow and resulting texture is excellent here… :sunglasses:

Wonderful! The curled shapes in the grass are so interesting, and the detail you captured makes me linger on them. The BG snow has interest in both texture and color, and acts as a supporting element without distracting. It gives me a feel for the world beyond this little subject without needing to show any of it. I think that would be missing if there were less detail in the snow. Nicely seen and executed!

Thanks @Dean_Salman. @Paul_Breitkreuz & @Diane_Miller - glad it’s resonated with you as well. I LOVE winter weeds and can spend hours at the edges of a meadow in the winter. It’s a good thing, too, since winter lasts half the year!

Kris: What a nice find and a superb comp and capture. I especially like how you rendered the snow. Simple is good. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like