Scratching a living

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Sorry for my semi-absence. I didn’t shoot anything from November 30 to December 30 so there wasn’t much new material. I got sucked into my jewelry/silver smithing sideline again so it was ok.

It finally snowed enough to play in a little (but not play like snowshoe or ski, we only have about 3 inches). Winter brings out my inner minimalist and so when I went out to retrieve our newly bashed trashcan (thanks plow guy!) I noticed this little arrangement of grass on the hump in the driveway (it’s gravel). Of course I went for the camera and spent a pleasant 1/2 hour looking around for more of the same.

The blades pointing in all directions got me with this and I was reminded of a hashtag and even the cover of Peter Gabriel’s 2nd solo album which has no title (like all of the first 4), but is commonly known as Scratch. I didn’t notice the pebbled texture in the snow until I got it in to process. The contrast is nice.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on different compositions and processing treatments.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for everything including the 1:1 crop, a 1/2 stop of exposure, lifted whites and highlights somewhat, pulled shadows down a bit. Added some texture and boosted the blue channel in Calibration after correcting the white balance. A bit of sharpening.

3 Likes

A very neat arrangement of grasses, Kris. I really like the composition and can’t think of a better arrangement. Were you wearing a red jacket? I think I’m seeing just a slight pink tinge that’s mostly evident on the bottom and the bottom side of the lump in particular.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank - I thought it was pretty neat, too. And yeah, I had on a dark pink coat. Didn’t see the blush there. Thanks.

Kris: Good eye and a fine capture. I was almost envying you your winter experiences until real winter arrived here yesterday (18 degrees overnight). I think I’ll stay inside and just do some studio stuff and admire your outdoor work. Well done. >=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach - winter is finally here, isn’t it? Below zero now and for the next few days before it gets back into the teens. I’ll probably head out again to see what’s going on. More from this little trip up and down the driveway though!