Say's Phoebe looking for breakfast

This Phoebe was sitting on a roof top and periodically taking flight and returning. Pressed the shutter as she/he left and hoped for the best. Unfortunately , she/he never went the same way each time. Just glad I caught this one. Lots of misses. Just wish I could have gotten closer.

Specific Feedback Requested

Very gray day and wished for a better background. Had room to add a bug but, decided to live with it. Trying the Sky replacement in PS did not seem to improve anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R6, Canon 400mm, f/5.6, ISO 500, 1/1600 sec, zone focus.
Large crop 90%. LR and Topaz AI sharpening.
All comments are welcome.

1 Like

That’s a great catch of the fanned wings, without any blur. You’ve cropped a lot already,but I think you could still show it closer. I don’t think the vignetting adds to this as it’s really cool already. Well done!

Well done Charlie. You’ve got a really nice pose. Full wing spread and lots of detail. I don’t mind the bg as it makes it more graphic. Mike makes an interesting comment about the vignetting and it might be worth a look. I don’t think I would crop tighter due to iq issues.
Is that the tried and true canon 400/5.6? If it is I am curious about how it is working out with the R6. Results of this photo look vg.

Yes, it is the Canon 400mm f/5.6 with a Viltrox adapter. Canon was not available. I have been very impressed with the resolution on large crops. I could never come close with my Canon 7D ll with the same lens. I am trying my Sigma 150-600 tomorrow and hope for equally good results. So far, the lens stabilization seems to work really well with the R6 stabilization and I can get clear, crisp shots at 1/125sec and 600mm. Just wish the Sigma wasn’t so heavy.
Thanks for the feed back.

1 Like

Great pose with the wingspread and the head turned towards you. Detail looks good. Well done!

Beautiful, Charlie. You caught the wingspread perfectly and I love the light coming through them. An excellent image.