sBig Sky

It is the bighorn rut in western Nebraska and I was out stalking and photographing some bighorns last week in the afternoon. By the time I got back to my truck the sun was getting low and the sky was doing some beautiful things. So I changes lenses and shot some images. The sun was low enough and peaking through the clouds a bit to add just a touch of light to the lower clouds. It almost look like a little halo over the top of the buttes but that is the way the raw looks also. I had been photographing the sheep in a shady area hence the higher ISO. I just forgot to change it.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, 1/80, f16, 10 mm, ISO 400

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great sky and the land sets the scene quite nicely. No suggestions here, very enjoyable viewing.

Wonderful colors along with some fantastic clouds in the sky, Richard. I like the impression of wide open spaces in this scene. No suggestions from me.

I really like the scene, Richard, with the low horizon and the drama above. Played with it and vignetted the sky and spotlighted the rocks. My though was to try and add drama to the sky while still keeping the focus of brightness on the land. I think it could even be pushed further, but this was just a quick effort.

Tony’s repost takes a very nice image and makes it pop.
Well done for both.

Thanks for the input and help

Richard,

Great job in choosing with the comp and presentation - especially in your choice to title this “Big Sky” (not sure what the little “s” means…) I also like that you’ve cropped L/R and didn’t present the standard format.

I like Tony’s edit as it does provide just a tad more pop. Looks great!

Lon