Sea of Ferns 2

This is a followup to my earlier “Sea of Ferns” post. In this second image I’m trying to make the sea of ferns more dominant, and have the background trees play a more secondary role. The lushness of these ferns during June continues to amaze me, and I’ve been trying to come up with some ways to better show this lushness. You wouldn’t know it from this image, but we are experiencing a major drought right now, and I wonder how these would have looked during a more normal rainy spring.

What I also liked about this section of ferns was that they were on the down slope of a small rise, and I think this helped communicate a better sense of depth than just a flat section of ferns would have. I like how the ferns go down this slope and then lead off into the depths of the forest. And, added bonus, the ferns are sort of leaning into that left to right flow as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

any comments welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 24-70mm lens, at 31 mm, ISO 400, 1/8 sec at f16

2 Likes

Wow, you did it! I have also been trying to show a large patch but unsuccessfully. The background trees and wide angle I think give the ferns a perspective that works. I love how the ferns are going in essentially one direction as well, gives me a sense of motion even though they are not moving in the wind. Really nice Ed.

1 Like

Ed, I like your thoughts about and the making of this image. Light , dark and feeling. Well made !

This is a great fern image. It is lie a green wave leading you into the forest. And all details are very well chosen, for instance I like that the LRC is a little bit darker and making an having some ferns giving an additional twist to the flow pointed out by the direction of the ferns.

Very nice, Ed! I like the sense of depth in the image and the ferns make such great subjects. As an alternative I wonder if you took any images where you filled the frame with just the ferns. The trees in the background do add context to the image, but I think the ferns by themselves make a compelling subject.

This has a nice left to right downhill flow as all the ferns seem to lean in that direction. And the back woods provide the dark tones to give this a mound like shape that is, to me, the most interesting feature of this image. I find this to be a creative image and to be more interesting than the one before it.

I do like this Sea of Ferns.
Love the composition balance.

Very nice Ed. This composition really pulls me into the frame. Really well seen and composed. I’ve got nothing to offer here, just enjoying the image. Hope you didn’t touch the poison ivy in the bottom of the frame!

@Mario_Cornacchione @Craig_Moreau @Brian_Schrayer @Ola_Jovall @Igor_Doncov @Ben_van_der_Sande

thank you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Ola, this also struck me as being like a green wave, good analogy.

The ferns, and the shape of the slope are obviously the main attraction here. The trees are supporting cast, only there to add some definition to the slope. I played with with some "fern only"compositions at this spot, but I wasn’t able to come up with anything that worked well. When they are in a large mass like this, it’s not easy. I have a bunch of tighter detail fern shots, but they would be more appropriate for the Flora or Macro forums.