Seaside Shivers

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Comments on processing are always welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Comments on composition are always welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

ISO 160, 45mm, f/6.3, 1/250 , mostly LR, some PS, and Topaz DeNoise AI

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Hi Mark,

I like how dynamic this image is and great timing on capturing them moment. The fast shutter time really emphasises the power of the ocean.

I would move the black and white point in a bit to take advantage of more dynamic tonal range of the file which will also give you a slight boost in contrast.

1 Like

Thanks, Nathan. I was wondering about the white point myself. I am cautious, perhaps overly so, of burning out highlights. I usually expose a good deal more to the left than most for just this reason. Still, I will fuss with the file to see how it goes. Thanks again.

You captured a very dramatic moment in nature, great idea to convert this image to B&W. The energy in this image is marvelous. Aside from the main drama, I like the nice small touches of of the tiny rivulets in the LLC, and the distant (and diffuse) crashing wave in the background. My suggestions are the same as those from @Nathan_Klein, and I like the direction that he took his rework. I think those tweaks take an already great image up another notch.

Here is a re-worked image with the suggested black and white point adjustments. This is an improvement. Thank you Nathan and Ed.

1 Like

Nathan: Love the power of the surf and your conversions. I do think your rework is a slight improvement. BTW, is this Shore Acres in Oregon? It looks familiar to me and I once witnessed a similar surf show there. Beautiful capture of the moment. >=))>

Yes, Bill, this is Shore Acres at what they call “King Tide” this past Sunday afternoon, 11/15/20. It’s about a 60 mile jaunt from where I live in Florence and well worth the trip. Mahalomark

Very nice photo. You certainly captured the energy of the ocean quite well. My small picky nit is that the edges of the rocks where they meet the water seem to be darker than the rest of the rocks, as if you darkened the water using a soft brush and it bled into the rocks just a bit. Not a deal breaker at all, I would just love to know if that is the case or if I am making up stories…