Serendipity

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

2023 started off pretty meh for dragonflies but really picked up in early summer. I caught this blue dasher working over our coleus plants and was able to get a number of hand held shots that turned out OK but nothing spectacular. Since she was being pretty cooperative I was able to set up the tripod and higher magnification rig. She then posed so prettily on just the right spot at the same time a nice high cloud tamed the direct sunlight. All comments welcome.>=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 OSS GM II + 2xTC and 12mm XT
ISO 1600, 1/125 @ f16

5 Likes

Bill, what a shot. Everything is in sharp focus, and the colors are so vibrant. I went in close to see the eyes and liked the real close look of the flower as well. The dragonfly and flower look great against the green BG. I have to say, my eye was caught by the top rt corner of pale pink. I thought something was coming out of the backend of the dragonfly. My only input would be to try the make the BG all green. Or maybe you left that on purpose. Either way, Thanks it a great shot.

John: Thanks for your comments and insights. When I first posted this that corner was an element I had mixed feelings about myself. Opinions varied but eventually I decided to keep it as is.

Excellent macro photo Bill!

I assume XT stands extension tube? Never used so not familiar with the terms related to them. I could google this, but you seem to have first hand experience, so does XT just allow you to focus closer or also magnifying more?

Very minor critique, for me, the lighter bottom of the image and flower tends to draw my eyes a little bit from the dragonfly. I would maybe add a light gradient exposure adjustment there.

Kasperi: Extension tube it is. They allow you to focus closer but don’t offer any increase in magnification. The downsides to tubes are that you lose the ability to focus at infinity and if you are using them on a zoom you have to adjust focus when you zoom/change focal length. I used to do 98% of my macro work with my 200mm prime macro but since acquiring this hyper capable 70-200 with its fast AF I’m using it more and more. Tubes are generally pretty cheap and since there’s no glass in them there is no degradation of image quality. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

1 Like

Thats a beautiful shot Bill. As i enlarge it it just keeps getting more interesting. I think you really nailed the focal length, i like how the head and the tip of the coleus are in focus it really draws in the eye.

Bill, this is nicely dramatic with the colorful flower leading up to the Blue Dasher. You’ve filled the frame very well. The background looks good also. Extension tubes are a good way to get more magnification.

What an outstanding image here, Bill. I can’t imagine the tenacity & opportunity in being able to make this scene all come together. Needless to say, the contrasting colors along with the soft & mild BG has this one really working well… :cowboy_hat_face:

I remember this one Bill. I can see why this was a favorite. It is a nice shot.

This is a beautiful shot Bill. thank you for explaining your equipment on this. Someone needs to do a webinar on the use of extender tubes. . . the colors and details are great.