Twofer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out watering our flowers yesterday and spotted this nice day lily. I also saw this dragonfly cruising around. I got some shots of him on some other perches but then he obliged me by landing on the lily. Serendipity. >=))>

Specific Feedback

I didn’t do anything with the light bokeh on the left side. Didn’t think it was too distracting. Also was a little disappointed with the clipped wing but so it goes. Your thought s appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 200mm, HH
ISO 400, 1/500 @ f5.6

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Bill, this was serendipity for sure. Sometimes it just works out nicely in photography. I love his position, and him being a green dragonfly, how he seems to be in the same angle as some of the oof stems. They just seem to be pointing to him. I’m sure he was disappointed as well that his wing was clipped! Probably a close call with a predator. I’m wondering about pulling the highlights down on the bloom. I don’t find the light bokeh on the left distracting either. I think it is all about the dragonfly and the lily. I went to the Botanical Gardens with a friend last week but still haven’t had a chance to edit. I didn’t really get anything outstanding that day but hopefully something I can post.

1 Like

This is really cool, Bill. I like the pose of the dragonfly and the colors are awesome. I’d be tempted to try to tone down the lily a bit if possible as it feels awfully bright. The shadow of the wings on the left petal are just awesome.

Good capture here Bill. I really like how the BG looks and it feels pretty clean to me. The focus is on all the right places in this one. I had to look close to see a clipped wing since you mentioned it. The petal on the right is bright, but still under control with good details throughout.