Sitting for the Camera

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I discovered a new gold mine for images. Lowe’s Water Gardens (not the big chain store) is a water flower nursery that I pass on my way to church almost every Sunday morning but when I go by they’re not open. While on vacation this past week I was driving past there on my way to some other errands and decided to pop in. I only had my phone with me so I did snap some grab shots as I wandered around. The owner was very gracious and when I asked if I could come back with a real camera she said yes. Even though this is approaching the end of the season there were still a number of water lilies in full bloom and somewhere near a bazillion dragonflies. I got a bunch of keepers but this is one I printed and will give to the shop in appreciation. >=))>

Specific Feedback

I didn’t press my luck by bringing the tripod on my first venture so hand held everything. Of course you can see the light was pretty harsh so just for fun I shot a 5 image HDR sequence. It turned out amazingly well. Don’t you love what our modern cameras can do?

Technical Details

Sony a7rIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 GM-II, 2x TC @ 198mm
ISO 800, 1/1250 @ f13 HDR

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

What a cool pose he gave you, Bill. Makes me think of a ballerino. The way he is out on that petal and the whole lily bloom included is nice. So glad you found this gold mine. Looking forward to many more shots from there.

Great pose from the dragonfly, Bill and the perch is really nice. You might bring up the exposure on the dragonfly’s body just a bit to give the eyes a bit more impact.

Or "Headstanding for the camera? " :slight_smile:
Really excellent detail in the 'fly, amazing pose, and lovely flower.
You got the wings sharp, and all the little hairs…
Well-done!

Bill, this is an excellent look at both the flower and the dragonfly, with a background that adds well to the scenario. I do wonder about a bit of dodging of the df, but its darkness tells us that the obelisk position is working to shade its head and thorax from the sun.

A wonderful find, and it looks like you’re making it pay off. And I’m quite sure now that you are a dragonfly whisperer. Super pose in a perfect setting! I would not have guessed it was an HDR – that software has come a long way!