Sitting Pretty

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After practically zero success with dragonflies this summer I’ve had pretty good luck yesterday and today. I believe this is an amber wing but ID help/confirmation would be appreciated. It is much smaller than the green darners and blue dashers we see more commonly in our garden. I had my A7R3 and 70-200 set up doing a time lapse on one of our hibiscus so I broke out the old reliable A77II and put the 200mm macro aboard. They are such good partners. I suspect I’ve made literally tens of thousands of images with that combination and it still feels incredibly natural working with them. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 1600, 1/160 @ f11
Handheld, AI denoise in LR

1 Like

Bill, this is a fine looking image of this DF. I like how the leaves seem to “fit” around the DF. Such nice details. If I did anything to this, I might would see if I could darken the top left leaf.

Hi Bill,
wow, that looks great. I really love the composition. The dragonfly is perfectly framed by the leaves.
And there are so many fine details.

I really need to find out where I can find dragonflies here. :joy:

Well done!

WOW, truly amazing detail throughout the DF here, Bill. Very nice work indeed… :+1:

Tremendous details and a wonderful composition. I can see why you like that gear combo. Well done.

Simply stunning, with gorgeous detail and a wonderful BG! He knew your main rig was in use and decided to taunt you, and you more than met the challenge! One tiny nit – you might consider cloning over the very small dark area at the top edge. It pulls my eye and nothing should compete with this gorgeous specimen.

Hi Bill,

This looks like a female Eastern amberwing. Large view is excellent and you may want to do some stacks if you find a cooperative dragonfly like this one. Overall, I do not have any nits for your photo and I like this one as presented…Jim

Oh man, you’re killing it with the dragonflies! Great pose and focus. Agree with Diane about snipping off the area of dark on the upper edge. I’d be really happy with this one if I’d taken it!

Gorgeous DF image, Bill :slight_smile:

The details and DOF are amazing and the lighting is perfect!

I’d love the see the time lapse of the hibiscus if you’re willing to share it when its completed.

Dragonflies are probably my favorite insect, partly because sometimes they are very cooperative subjects, I’ve had some that would stay put for several minutes at a time.
And partly because of their shape and colors and because they almost always choose the tip of a twig or leaf to perch on.

Well done, Bill! :slight_smile: