Serendipity

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While watering the garden this morning I spotted this Blue Dasher flitting around our coleus plants. I had been shooting him hand held but after getting several acceptable shots I went back inside and brought out the tripod. He was then kind enough to perch on the tip of this flower and let me work him over for several minutes. There was just a tiny bit of wind so I had to bump up the ISO but still had enough motion blur to spoil a bunch of shots. The sun also hid behind some high clouds at just the right moment to make the exposure more uniform. This one and two others caught the eyes perfectly. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

I’m undecided about the URC BG color. Sometimes I like it and others I don’t and consider painting over it with the green BG. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 OSS GM II + 2xTC and 12mm XT
ISO 1600, 1/125 @ f16

5 Likes

I like your image and I vote to remove the URC BG color.

Bill, this is a nice look at the DF, and I love the perch. Yeah, it sure would have been nice if the BG had been all green. Still, an excellent shot, with nice details and colors.

Wonderful!! Enough DOF to show the subject with great sharpness. Perfect perch, too! I could go either way wit the BG color – it echoes the flower and is on a nice diagonal with the dragonfly so I think it could be a subtly nice touch. I like the framing with the DF high in the frame.

Another beautiful capture of those eyes, Bill. I vote to leave the patch. My opinion (which is worthless) is that we sometimes try to make photos too perfect. Hey; it’s wildlife in a wild environment. A little imperfection is expected.

What a stunner! The composition is so great and sharpness to die for. All the rich colors are so complementary. Glad you saw and stuck with the process of getting such a great photo. You could lift the mid tones a bit and I think that would ease up some of the dark areas and maybe give you some greater color separation as well. What a beautiful bug!

Hi Bill,

You did very well with this one. Comp with colorful vertical element makes this very pleasing to eye. Wind is our arch enemy, but you compensated for it very well. Awesome shot…Jim