Setting Moon Over Ring Of Fire

This was a site near the Contact Mine area in JTNP. I use the TPE program prior to my outings and verified the setting full moon time over this location I’d found a couple weeks earlier.

Specific Feedback Requested

ANY

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya 65 mm - Singh Ray 3 stop soft ND - Ektachrome E-100

3 Likes

Sensational image, Paul. I love the moon. The colors are fantastic as I would expect from Ektachrome. Wonderful image.

Paul, the moon over the landscape is an excellent addition. I like how it balances with the Agave on the left. The “dots” of redish barrel cacti are also attractive. I do wonder about cropping off the bottom to make a pano. Well planned and well executed.

Outstanding photo, Paul. The crystal clear moon, the colors, detail and composition are amazing!

@David_Bostock @Mark_Seaver @linda_mellor thank you each for your reviews and comments on this scene. With some work in Google Earth & the TPE programs I was able to get this one dialed in a bit before setting up that morning. I have to give credit to my brother Tom who actually found the barrel cactus collection a few weeks earlier on one of our trips to the Contact Mine area in JTNP… :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

This is a really beautiful image, Paul. I really love the lighting in the foreground, it’s kind of a subtle pink color, is that from the moonlight or is the sun coming up? I’ve tried doing timing things like this for moon or sun rises and sets but never get where they’re actually going to be right! :sweat_smile:. I admire your skills with that.

@Vanessa_Hill thank you for the review and your kind comments. This was a sunrise event and most of the pink or red light is mostly reflective from the surrounding rock formations in the area. I see a lot of that light during sunrises in JTNP. So far as the timing of and angle of view on the setting moon as well as the sunrise reflective & direct light is credited to using The Photo Ephemeris program. I have several setting moon images credited to using that fine program. … :sunglasses:

Hi Paul,

Always enjoy your JT images - and this is no exception. I particularly like the “RGB” color combo here especially with the few scattered barrel cacti. Wonderfully compsed. And continued kudos for sticking it out with film!

Lon

@Lon_Overacker
Hey Lon, really good to hear from you. Thank you for the comments here. I sincerely hope you are doing well all around. Please be sure to have a safe holiday season going forward… :disguised_face:

1 Like