Sheep Pass - B&W

I suspect this area known as Sheep Pass is associated with the Big Horn sheep in the area. Although I’ve seen a few big horn over time in JTNP I’ve never seen any in this exact overall rock area. Given time I wonder just how many rocks are in this scene.
This was a 3 vertical image take with a MF camera. What is not apparent is the freezing temperatures and high winds on this winter morning.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

No overall thoughts on my part beyond I’d scoped this site out a few weeks earlier and knew my approach but as always concerns of the actual weather and sunrise light being provided. I’d used the TPE program as always prior to the outing and felt the TOD spot and angle of sunrise would be excellent.

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya “C” 127mm - Velvia 50

I took a few minutes and just let my eyes wander over this amazing rock formation. They kept returning to the arc below the steeper bits on the left. Many years ago I read Wallace Stegner’s Pulitzer-winning novel Angle of Repose and I am reminded of it here, both in its literal sense and in the sense of many complex relationships and connections that are needed to make a narrative.

Ps. I’ve read it several times since and many of this other novels - he was a treasure.

1 Like

Paul, this is an amazing “pile” of rocks. The cloudy sky adds well to the starkness. There’s clearly a Zone System look here with small bits of pure black and pure white scattered throughout.

1 Like