Shipwreck at Bryce Canyon (with suggested Edits)

Original

Added Vignette, Darkened upper cloud, added vibrancy

All of the above plus a crop

Image Description

I awoke from a great sleep on my first morning at Bryce Canyon. I was eager to see what the conditions were like so I peaked my head out the door and found about 8 inches of fresh snow on the ground in the parking lot. It was still dark so I had no idea what the cloud cover looked like but it was still snowing softly as I got ready to leave. The roads going into the park were still getting plowed but I was in my truck so it really didn’t matter. I forged ahead (thank God for GPS because I couldn’t tell one turn out from another) in the dark hoping for some drama and atmosphere in the canyon. What I got was a complete white out at sunrise. I was with a guy that I met at Zion a few days earlier and we decided that we’d shoot together for the rest of the trip. As the two of us looked out over the white expanse, we talked about going back to Ruby’s lodge for some hot food but we ultimately decided that we were here to get images and getting hot food stood in the way of that. So we waited, we met a nice couple from Switzerland, we waited some more, the couple decided to leave after about 45 minutes because they were cold, and about 20 minutes later we were rewarded with some very dramatic clearing conditions. When it finally started to clear, it cleared quickly. From a complete white out to partially cleared skies took only about 45 minutes. The conditions were changing quickly. Had we gone back to the hotel for a hot breakfast and the warmth of the hotel fireplace to thaw out our frozen fingers, we would have missed the drama that Bryce handed out that day.

This is the white out view from Inspiration point and my French friend on the left and the couple from Switzerland on the right. It was REALLY COLD!!!

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I love that Shipwreck rock is the only large rock formation not being swallowed by fog or clouds. I love the soft foreground fog in contrast to the more dramatic clouds behind Shipwreck Rock.
Should I crop in tighter to eliminate some of the sky? Is the foreground rock formations along the bottom of the frame too dark?

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400mm lens @ 150mm, ISO 1250 (hand held and pretty dark out), f/10, 1/500 second, manual mode.

1 Like

Awesome image, and story, David. I love the warmer feeling of the foreground against the cooler clouds. I can see a small crop from the top, but really don’t see the need. This is stunning as is.

1 Like

I love the drama of the low hanging clouds and sun lit Shipwreck rock David. I always wanted to visit Bryce after a snow storm.

1 Like

What beauty you did capture, David. So pleased that you were able to be there for such a time as that, with the fresh snow and the fog. Nice wall hanger!

1 Like

I’ve always said, “clouds are a photographers’ best friend.” And in your patience you, captured a winner and had perfect timing. I love the feeling, color, and tone of the image. In addition I think there is another image in the image, courtesy of a crop. Well done.

1 Like

David,

First, kudos to sticking it out and GREAT photo of your new found friends. I’ve always enjoyed talking with fellow photographers when out in nature and on photo trips. Also reminds me of so many outings to Yosemite and elsewhere… How many times have we heard, “Too bad the weather has everything socked in…” and the response is always… “Wait 5 minutes…” In your case sounds a little longer. Not to go on… but one of the most epic sunsets I ever experienced on the Pacific coast all started with classic coastal fog pretty much dictating a busted sunset… then a crack appeared on the horizon and for the next 45minutes… sorry… memory flashes…

Anyway! Wonderful image illustrating what can happen for those who have patients and know to wait. Both the clearing ground fog AND the clearing storm clouds contribute to a wonderful moment in time. I’m not sure what you could do to improve this. I’m always a sucker for bumping up the vibrance and contrast, but I know here the mood and atmosphere of the fog are pretty much dictating things, so again, can’t see changing much.

Glad you got some wonderful keepers on your trip!

Lon

Wow! What a winter wonderland, David. Kudos for sticking it out as this magical scene was well worth the extra wait in the shivering cold. The warmth of the canyon walls contrasts rather nicely with the cool blue tones of those stunning cloud formations. Cool backstory on making some new friends. I have always enjoyed talking to like minded souls.

1 Like

Great scene and atmosphere, I would recommend darkening the top cloud a bit more though and also adding more of a vignette to direct the eye a little more towards the main butte coming out of the fog.

1 Like

Thanks you @David_Bostock , @Eva_McDermott , @Shirley_Freeman , @gDan52 , @Lon_Overacker , @Ed_Lowe , @Eric_Bennett for you thoughts and comments on this one. When I get home tonight I will add more of a vignette and darken those top clouds slightly and I’ll add a little bit of vibrance to it as well. Thanks for those suggestions Eric and Lon. I also may play around with the crop as Gary suggested. Thanks for the vision Gary and for taking the time to play with this.

2 Likes

Great story to go with a great image David! My favorite is the Added Vignette, Darkened upper cloud, added vibrancy version.