Shorebirds in Flight

I am not very sure what birds these are, maybe dunlins…

This was taken just at the end of the blue hour with the sun peeking out from the low cloud. I love the small clouds of these birds as they take off from the shore, circle around flashing their white bellies at certain angles in their flight, and land again to feed. I was lucky they passed right by me on their way down the beach.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would appreciate any feedback you have both technical and artistic.

Technical Details

Canon RF with RF 100-500
f/8.0. 1/1250 ISO 2000 @500mm

I have cropped down to about 40%; boosted the overall exposure and the whites to brighten; sharpened a bit and noise reduction.

I have tried removing some of the “half birds” at the edges with the healing tool.

1 Like

Great photo of the birds in flight, Robena. I like how the photo shows a direction of flight and I think the birds on the left and right edges are fine. I wondered if a darker background would help contrast, but I think bringing out the highlights in the birds actually does the same thing.

1 Like

A nice flight shot of these birds, Robena. It looks like a mix of two species to me, maybe Sanderlings and Dunlins, though I’m not good at winter plumages of shorebirds. I’m not sure you posted the version you intended as you mentioned removing some of the “half-birds” on the edges and it looks like there are quite a few that are cut off. I don’t mind the entering the frame if it shows at least the full head. I’m not quite as fond of them leaving the frame. I like your processing.

1 Like

I’m jealous. I’ve taken probably hundreds of shots like this and rarely get anything this nice. There are enough of them in focus to make the shot interesting. You might clone out the ones leaving the frame. I think there are two species here as the mostly white bird seems to have a shorter bill than the brown one. I’d say the short billed is a Sanderling, but not all that confident.

1 Like

This is a real nice collection of shorebirds and flight. Very difficult to get them all in the same plane of focus. You did a good job on the processing with respect to color balance and depth of field. I agree with Dennis about the partial birds on the left and right side of the frame.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I appreciate everyone’s comments. I will try a bit more contrast between birds and background and work on my cloning.

Very cool image, Robena. I actually like the high-key feeling of the birds and background. I think it brings an interesting dynamic that works quite well, especially when viewed larger.

It’s awfully hard to get a shot without birds entering or leaving the frame when they swarm like this.

Great catch.

Thanks again for all your replies…heading out soon to try and get more shots.