Short-eared Owl

First real day out with Canon R5 camera. I am still trying to figure out focus cases, tracking and changing focus points. The camera will lock on and stay locked good. 45 mps is something else.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just starting with Topaz Noise A1 also so please let me know if it is over done. I used whatever the default settings were.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 700mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO3200 Cropped to 43% FF, NR in Topaz A1, LR and PS

1 Like

Awesome shot, David. Nice and sharp through the grasses which is really amazing. The processing looks good to me. I love the pose you caught.

I like the flying pose and environment quit a bit. Good catch. On my monitor, the owl needs a bit of a contrast boost and I did this in the non AI version of Topaz Adjust.

Great subject and nice environment photo.

Wonderful! I think you have the camera figured out! The focus and detail on the subject are perfect and I love the crop with the visual weight of the owl balanced be the darker OOF vegetation on the left and at the bottom of the frame. Yet another one where the coloration of the environment is perfect for the subject.

Thanks for your comments. They are always helpful. @David_Schoen I know what you mean about needing a bit more contrast on the owl. The darn problem is that they naturally have very little contrast or color on their own. I was being careful in not over doing it on my part. Interpretation I guess. Thanks.

This is pretty great. I can’t believe you maintained focus here. I really like the environment, and focus looks spot on. I tend to fall more in line with you on the processing. Contrast looks good to me as-is. If anything, this seems to be a good candidate for a really light vignette. Looking forward to more!

Pretty good advertisement for the R5. It really locked on the eyes and gave you sharp focus. Pretty darn good with the owl coming at you. Any owl shot is special and this one turned out great. Good wing position and I like the environmental aspect.

Hi David,

I think that you have figured out how to use your new camera. The owl is nice and sharp and David Schoen gets the assist for the contrast adjustment. Very artistic presentation. Well done…Jim

Beautiful capture and composition with the bird diving from the upper right portion of the frame, colors look natural to me. Great work David!

Great capture in tough shooting conditions. The fact that you kept focus while going through all of the foreground stick ups is terrific. I like the added contrast that was applied by @David_Schoen. It definitely adds some pop to the subject. I also like how you kept just a sliver of sky as a point of reference. Nice capture of a bird that’s hard to find hunting in good light.