Short-eared Owl

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was only the second time I’ve ever seen this species. It was out hunting yesterday afternoon, and let me approach quite close, as it scanned the dead grass from a high electric pole.

Specific Feedback

I wanted to get closer, but had to be content with this. The sharpness is not so good, but owls are owls, and not to be passed over. All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D500 +150-600mm 1/500 f7.1 ISO 400

Cropped, Topaz Denoise, selected bird and sharpened it in PS. Slight tonal adjustments.

1 Like

I would agree: any owl is a good owl. And, you’ve captured this one well. I like the contrast between the yellow eye and blue sky.

1 Like

Hi Mike, glad you got this shot of a subject that is tough to come by. You mentioned a lack of sharpness but this is still an intriguing image. Well composed and I like the BG.

1 Like

Wonderful!! Any owl is a good owl! I think you might have leeway to back off the denoise and sharpening just a bit.

1 Like

Very nice picture Mike. I like the simplicity of the composition with an uncluttered background (presumably the sky). There is a bit of an issue with sharpness and I recognise this from many of my own images, (particularly owls that I end up shooting in quite low light). The Topaz tools are great but I find that they can lead to slightly unreal textures on a subject…maybe less is more.