Short-eared Owls (again)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Visited the short-eared owl field this morning once again. They did a flash mob shortly after sunrise with several birds in the air at the same time.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/1600s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

2 Likes

Allen, these images are just so cool! Great subject, silky smooth background and perfect SS and focus. My rank on these is 4, 1, 3, 2 if that’s of interest. I like the low “on the hunt” altitude, the light on the owl and the aspect ratio in 4. I like the contrast of the dark background in 1. They’re all wall hangers though. Congrats!

Another wonderful set of Short-eared Owl images in some gorgeous light, Allen. No nits from me on any of them.

Wow – so cool!! I love the last one the best but all are wonderful! What an amazing opportunity, and you made the best of it!

Incredible set of images, Allen! The light and background in the first is top notch as is the head angle looking right at you. Image three is very similar but more of a top view of the wings. I really love the low angle view of the 4rth image though capturing the tips of the grasses and the blurred out background with beautiful low light on the face and the undersides of the wings. Just a beautiful set.